Traveling? Need a U.S. passport? There's a local solution.

By Angela Vick,
Citrus County Clerk of the Circuit Court and Comptroller

Are you taking a vacation this year? Will you need a U.S. Passport for your travels?

The Citrus County Clerk of the Circuit Court and Comptroller can help you cross that item off the list. As a U.S. Passport Acceptance Facility, the Clerk accepts applications for new Passports and can also take the required photo.

All United States Citizens applying for a U.S. Passport must apply in person at the Clerk’s office or a Passport Agency.

For new passports, Application DS-11 should be completed in its entirety using BLACK ink. This form is available at the Clerk’s office or can be accessed on the Clerk’s website at Please note: do not sign the application until asked to do so at the Acceptance Facility.

In addition to the application, it is essential to bring a certified copy of your birth certificate or naturalization papers and valid photo identification, such as a driver’s license.

Minors under the age of 16 must apply in person with both parents. If both parents are not able to be present, please refer to the special circumstances on page 1 of the DS-11 form, or contact our office for assistance. Children are not subject to renewal passports; a new application must be completed using form DS-11.

Payment for passport photos and applications may be made in cash, checks and credit cards. A separate check or money order is also required for EACH application, payable to the U.S. Department of State.

Passport renewals may be submitted by mail if the following four statements are true:

  • Your most recent U.S. Passport is undamaged and can be submitted with your application,
  • Your most recent U.S. Passportwas issued when you were age 16 or older,
  • Your most recent U.S. Passport was issued within the past 15 years, and
  • Your most recent U.S. Passport was issued in your current name, or you can legally document your name change.

Form DS-82 should be used for all mail passport renewals and is mailed directly to the National Passport Processing Center.

The National Passport Processing Center currently takes 4 to 6 weeks to process Routine Service applications while requests for Expedited Service are processed in about one-half of that time frame. The status of your application may be tracked on-line at the U.S. Department of State’s website TRAVEL.STATE.GOV (click here).

Citizens are encouraged to contact the Clerk’s Office at (352) 341-6424 or visit our website at to obtain complete information regarding the required documents for passports.